Great Kids Gifts and Activities You Will Want to Keep on Hand!
With a huge family of children of all ages, we never know exactly who might be joining us for a sleepover or visit so I try to keep a few activities and crafts on hand at all times. In addition to some of the great, more creative things we come up with, these kits can be a lifesaver in a last minute pinch or when you are just too tired, busy, or overloaded to think of something else. These kits are tried and true in my household and they have been enjoyed by many others as gifts over the years.
- Sand Art. Who doesn’t love sand art!? All you need is a cookie sheet or tray (trust me, this will help eliminate mess), some cups and spoons and the 2 suggested kits below have everything else. I have used these kits with ages 3 to 4 (depending on the child ) up to teens! The little ones of course need some help and guidance, especially if you don’t want sand everywhere. This is a great activity that helps younger children with dexterity and children of every age enjoy unleashing their inner sand artist. Order 2 if you can: one to keep on hand for your own use at home and another on hand for a last minute gift!
- String Art. In this activity the kids simply wrap the string around the different cardboard shapes to create really pretty art pieces. Use a hole puncher to add a string at the top and use them as ornamanets or string them together and add feathers to create your own dream catchers. Either way, this is an inexpensive and really fun way to spend a snow or rain day! Check out the preferred kits below and keep a couple on hand.
- Mind Blowing Science! I love this kit! I have gifted it several times as well and it is always a hit! While you do have a lot of materials on hand at home for various science experiments, having this on hand is a no brainer for days when you just need it all at your fingertips! The Tasty Science and Magic Science are also great to mix it up and keep it fun yet educational!
- My Busy Box and the Giant Art Jar will save you time and money. It offers a little bit of a lot. Instead of wasting money on certain things your kids might NOT be into using while crafting, these variety jars and boxes are a great way to stir up all kinds of creativity without wasting money. I also try to keep one of these on hand at all times for a last minute gift especially for kids you might not know that well. After all, every kid likes to craft from time to time and mom and Dad will also appreciate it!
- Scratch Art. If you haven’t tried, it you should! Easy for little hands but exciting enough for the older kids too. It’s like revealing a great mystery with every scratch. They can also be used for ornaments or they make a great party activity because they are quite easy to make with very little mess. So add them to the children’s table or activity table at your next party, family dinner, or special event!