Special Gift Ideas for Moms!
If we are doing it “right,” Mom knows how much we love her all year long, but Mother’s Day certainly is a great day to remind her just how much she really means to us! Each mom is unique; after all, we sure do come in all different shapes and sizes with all kinds of special talents, unique traits, and of course that something special that just makes Mom, well, Mom!
If you think about it, gifts are like moms in that they too come in a wide range of shapes, colors, and interests as well. The perfect Mother’s Day gift should not depend on your budget because the best gifts come from the heart. It’s corny but true. So don’t default to just ordering flowers this year, (although there’s nothing wrong with a great bouquet of flowers) instead, take just a few minutes to THINK about finding something special. Whether you are a grown Kid looking for a gift for your mom OR trying to come up with something to help the little ones in your life, we hope that this list will serve as inspiration for you to find the gift that is almost as special as Mom herself!
…………………………………and pssst: Don’t forget to get the kids involved too of course. Little minds often times have the best ideas and after all, that’s what it’s all about!
- That thing she has been talking about. Grab the kids, huddle up, close your eyes, and think. Is there something she’s been talking about? That thing her best friend got for Christmas or maybe it’s that other thing that she saw in a store but did not want to splurge on? Maybe it’s a project that is transferred from one month’s to do list to the next: she has been wanting to re-paint a room, start a garden, or build an outdoor pond. Think on it and I’m willing to bet there’s something she has mentioned wanting. Got it? Ok now pack the kids in the car and go get it or get started planning it!
- A family experience. Sometimes the best gift we can give mom is time together. In this crazy life we all lead, taking some time out to experience new things or to simply step back and unplug can be the greatest gift of all. Plan an overnight jaunt to that place she’s been longing to visit, a special day out in the city, a trip to the museum, a family cooking class, a family night of bowling, a camp out, a special family day at the park, or a nice family dinner at her favorite restaurant or at home with her favorite foods. Maybe Mom is a sports fan and would love tickets to a game! Can’t afford a professional game or an overnight trip? There are tons of great things to do all around. Check out your local papers, sites, and community boards for ideas that will make her smile without breaking the bank. You might also want to check out sites like experiencedays.com and groupon.com for really unique experience ideas in your area. They’ve got everything from Sailing lessons to Food Truck tours depending on your neck of the woods or city.
- Time to Herself. While Mom loves her family time, most gals also enjoy a little ME time. Maybe your wife or mom has mentioned wanting to take a Yoga class, or a class at the local community college. Maybe she’s always wanted to learn to play an instrument or take dance lessons. Maybe she’s longed for a night out with the gals complete with dinner, drinks, and a show. Arrange for childcare (if applicable) so mom can enjoy the gift guilt free. Getting a gift that let’s mom be who she needs to be can be the greatest gift of all.
- So Mom, how does your Garden Grow? Flowers and plants were always THE gift for my mom growing up. She loved her garden and now that I am a mom, I get it. Gardening is such a peaceful beautiful activity that I am excited to share with my children. I remember feeling as if I’d found treasure when a veggie grew or a plant bloomed and I cannot wait to share this wonder with my kids. Flowers, herbs, and even vegetable plants make great gifts for moms who love to garden. Perhaps you can complete the gift by setting aside a family gardening day when you can all help and do some planting together! If mom is just getting into gardening or does not have a ton of space, container gardening is fun also. Visit our Pinterest page https://www.pinterest.com/sogoodatlifeinc/pins/ for great container garden ideas. A simple, beautiful hanging plant is also always a wonderful option. I really feel that every mom can use fresh blooms in her life. Get help at your local Garden Store or Dept. and find a basket that is low maintenance and super easy for busy moms to take care of. Some of them can be virtually care free. Maybe moms garden is already full and a beautiful accent would be nice, think: bench, wind spinner, solar lights, etc. A beautiful tree might be another option. Some families like to plant trees and shrubs in honor of each child or grandchild , perhaps this is a tradition that you’d like to begin in your family!
- A Picture is worth a thousand words. Let’s face it, moms of all ages love photos! Perhaps arranging a special family photo shoot would be the perfect gift for Mom or Grandma this mother’s day. Not only will the shoot itself be an amazing experience, the photos will be something she can enjoy for many years to come. Groupon and local social media pages and groups often have great family photo session specials. Package that with a gift certificate to her favorite clothing store so she can get herself a brand new outfit for the special event. Photo Session not quite right? Mom might love a subscription to Groovebook or another photo service. The Groovebook app allows mom to create monthly photo books without the hassle of printing your own photos.
- Jewelry. Jewelry surely is a classic gift but it’s not necessarily the way to every mom’s heart. For example, diamonds are totally wasted on me. But give me a handmade bracelet and I’m a mush! The point is pay attention to her tastes. Does she wear much jewelry? And if she does, what is it like? Have you ever seen her wear a bracelet? If not, then earrings or a necklace might be a better way to go. Are her ears even pierced? Does she tend to like the glitz and glam or is she a bit more classic? If you are not quite sure, pay attention for the next couple of days or you can consult with one of her best friends. Keep in mind that going the sentimental route can rarely go wrong. Mom’s heart will melt with any piece of jewelry that her little ones helped to pick out. A simple set of earrings or a personalized locket or bracelet just might make her heart melt. A great and inexpensive, yet thoughtful jewelry choice is an Alex and Ani bracelet. Each charm has a special meaning and comes with a card explaining that special message. Have an clever little one at home? take a trip to Michael’s and have her/him pick out pieces to make their very own handmade treasure for mom. Most Michael’s stores have great make your own jewelry sections with a wide selection of styles to choose from.
- Give her a gift that will help her feel amazing- each month! A subscription to StichFix. www.stitchfix.com. StichFix delivers personalized fashion to her door! She will complete a style profile and select the delivery frequency and then new pieces arrive at her door. It’s like a surprise little shopping spree in every box! I have several mom friends who make a “thing” of it with the kids and have mini fashion shows each month when the items arrive. It’s a gift that truly keeps on giving and the kids can be proud of giving mom something all year long
- Handmade Gifts and Sentimental Gifts. Moms love handmade gifts; I think it’s part of our DNA. But let’s be real, chances are moms and grandmothers get lots of handmade gifts all year long and after a while ( as much as she loves little Bobby’s artwork) there’s only so much room on the fridge. Put a little extra thought into helping the kids with this and make it something truly special. Buy a beautiful frame (or even better, make one) and frame that work of art. Select a project that is something mom or grandma can really use like a step stone for her garden, a bird house that actually hangs, a work of art on an actual canvas or piece of wood, etc. Check out our Pinterest Board for more great ideas! Are you an adult looking for a gift for your mom? Think back to your own childhood, perhaps you can duplicate a gift you made her when you were a kid, return to a favorite spot you shared when you were a kid, take her bowling like you used to or do something you have not done together in years. Take a few minutes to think about the special things you shared years ago and I’m willing to bet something might come to mind. No matter how large or small, sentimental moms will cherish your efforts!
- Moms LOVE to Feel Beautiful! Gift those special Moms in your life with a gift certificate to a day spa or beauty salon complete with a coupon for babysitting duties for the moms who still have little ones in the house! Maybe you’ve even heard your mom or wife complain about unwanted facial hair (or even elsewhere.) A gift card for laser hair removal treatments or electrolysis might be the perfect gift for that special mom in your life. Do your research and be sure to find an establishment with great reviews and reputation. WARNING, HOWEVER, this is NOT a good gift for moms who have never mentioned such a thing. A gift certificate for this sort of thing for a mom who has never thought about it could actually be insulting and leave her feeling less than beautiful.
- Something New! Has mom mentioned wanted to start a new hobby? Perhaps she’s mentioned wanting to sign up for a local painting class, or she’s constantly pinning and posting ideas of about camping, hiking, or kayaking. Maybe she’s always wanted to visit a local tourist spot or is obsessed with something her friend told her about. Mother’s Day can be a great time to gift her with some tools and accessories to try something she has been longing to do.
- Beach Babe. Does mom like the beach? This beach gal loves beach accessories and I think some other moms might as well! Maybe a really nice new beach tote , beautiful round beach towel, and some new beach accessories , games, or tools would be a perfect gift for your mom. Set aside a special family beach day and include a “coupon” with the gift for that extra special touch.
- A nice card. Whether you choose something from the list above or anything else, every Mother’s Day gift must come with a card. Call me old fashioned, but as far as I am concerned, there is nothing like the sentiment of the written word. Funny, romantic, sentimental, thoughtful , homemade are all great options as long as it speaks to that which makes your mom special.
amzn_assoc_placement = “adunit0”;
amzn_assoc_search_bar = “true”;
amzn_assoc_tracking_id = “sogoatliin-20”;
amzn_assoc_ad_mode = “manual”;
amzn_assoc_ad_type = “smart”;
amzn_assoc_marketplace = “amazon”;
amzn_assoc_region = “US”;
amzn_assoc_title = “My Amazon Picks”;
amzn_assoc_asins = “B0798SWXQB,B079Q4SB26,B07PCMWTSG,B0765VTBLV,B07KYMBLDX,B0799HM5PK,B00A7EXF4C,B07CJKFQ2T”;
amzn_assoc_linkid = “6b2b04ab7f45322576f154da3949acf4″;