Spring Craft with the Kids: Coffee Filter Flowers!
These Coffee Filter flowers are a great project for little ones of all ages. Use up the Easter Egg Colors after you’ve died the eggs or keep one on hand to create this project any time! Kids can make flower arrangements to gift to loved ones or to use as part of your spring décor. This is a project that kids will be really proud of and the recipient won’t have to hide it!
Here’s What You Need:
- 1 Easter Egg Coloring Kit
- Vinegar and Water
- Plastic Cups
- Coffee Filters (I like Size 4 cone filters because they are easily shaped into flowers.)
- 12 ” Pipe Cleaners
- A Towel or Tray to lay the flowers on to dry
- 1 large Bowl or Tray per child (unless you can do it over the sink!)
- Optional: A Vase, Planter , Mason Jar, or whatever will serve as your vase.
- If you want to wrap it like a bouquet of flowers: Tissue paper, cellophane, and bow.
Here’s All You Do:
- Put the color tabs in water and vinegar, I used about 5/6 water and just a dash of vinegar so they don’t smell like vinegar. You can also add a scented oil (lilac, lily, any flower) of you really want to get creative! Allow the color tab to dissolve.
- Set up the cups so that all children can easily access them and then place their bowl or tray in front of them.
- Once the colors have dissolved, the kids can dip the coffee filters in the cups. They can mix colors BUT start with solids so you don’t end up with all brown flowers! Let it drain for a couple of seconds before removing and then immediately instruct the kids to hold it over their tray or bowl (so it catches any drips and does not make a mess.) Holding the filter by the bottom, each child can shape the filter into a flower by crinkling and folding it.
- Then simply wrap the pipe cleaner around the bottom (wrapping 3 to 4 times so it is sturdy.) The remaining part of the pipe cleaner will be the stem.
- Lay the flowers on the towel or tray to dry approximately 1 hour.
- Then arrange into a bouquet. If the child is presenting this as a stemmed bouquet with no vase, simply fold a piece of tissue paper into a triangle, arrange the flowers on it and wrap cellophane over it like a cone. Staple the back. Tie with a pretty Ribbon and add the card and Voila, a beautiful, one of a kind bouquet of flowers!
Show us your bouquets on Facebook and Instagram #SoGAL and #SoGALIDI
amzn_assoc_placement = “adunit0”;
amzn_assoc_search_bar = “true”;
amzn_assoc_tracking_id = “sogoatliin-20”;
amzn_assoc_ad_mode = “manual”;
amzn_assoc_ad_type = “smart”;
amzn_assoc_marketplace = “amazon”;
amzn_assoc_region = “US”;
amzn_assoc_title = “My Amazon Picks”;
amzn_assoc_asins = “B00PTBIZ98,B00TOYK2U6,B01IYD1MII,B07BNBCYCL,B071PFPNYH,B01B4ACNLS,B0716WC7L9,B00VQL1P4M”;
amzn_assoc_linkid = “4e8c258611dd3ab18066f88a7db26e01″;